DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:12:25 -0800
Hi Rahman,

In part to your request below, I'll provide a little bit of my experience.

IPC (CID and CID+):
I'd recommend working on getting your CID and CID+ certification, it's a good starting point and lends credence to your pursuit in PCB design.

Layout practical training:
At many of the PCB trade shows (IPC APEX, PCB Design West for example) I've seen many classes where Susy Webb goes over many details in how to partition, place and route boards.  While I've not had the opportunity to take any of her classes (tried at the IPC APEX, but schedules conflicted), I've heard nothing but good things.

Additionally, if you can find someone with decent experience to mentor under, such as a design bureau, it would be beneficial.

Advanced training: - design specific (signal integrity, board stackup, etc)
I'd also recommend any class from Eric Bogatin, Lee Ritchey or Rick Hartley.  These gentleman (and I'm sure there are others) provided many classes at many of the PCB trade shows and have classes al over the country that cover a wide range of topics that are more specific for RF, digital and overall signal integrity.  I've come away learning a great deal from all of them.

Trade magazines:
"PCB Circuit Design and Fab" http://pcdandf.com/cms/  is a pretty good magazine and always have articles of interest and is available in print and digital format.

I'm sure there may be others, so maybe others can chime in.

Layout/schematic tools:
This is a can of worms I'm not going to open, but in short I will say it will be dependent on ones needs and responsibility's along with what is generally used by the company and/or region.  It's subjective and everyone has an opinion.

Hope this helps,

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins CID+
PCB Staff Designer || L-3  Linkabit || Ph: 858-552-9832 || [log in to unmask]