DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:59:12 -0600
Matthew,
	You are right you do not need to have designators on assemblies,
a pick and place machine or AOI machine could care less. Now if you want
a tech to repair your assembly so you can increase your yields then I
would say that you need to have designators. It is very difficult to
have an assembly in a test fixture trying to hunt down the location of a
part looking at the assembly then looking at an assembly drawing but not
before you check the schematics. Have I lost you yet? Now do that in a
production environment with the customer riding you on why you are late.
The only time when this wouldn't matter is when a customer could live
with the excessive waste, and I haven't found one yet that is willing to
live with it.
	When laying out an assembly you need to think of how your
decisions are going to affect the over all production of that design
then multiply that by the number of assemblies you wish to have in a
given year. All too often designers forget that what we design has to be
repeated and be repeated cost effectively. A board house will build you
what you want according to your drawings however, they will not build in
quality. I think that if you have a close relationship with your
assembly house you will find that yields will go up and on time
deliverables will increase. I am not saying you need to do everything
they tell you but it is worth it to listen to have that have to say.
	As for the silk on the pads issue all my drawings state that
there shall be no silk screen on the pads. If the assembly house gets
boards in that have silk on the pads they can reject the entire lot if
that note doesn't exist then they are stuck with them. Silk on the pads
is not entirely a designer issue many designers in the states use
imperial and material may be purchased in Asia or Europe where rounding
errors can happen. Do not rely on someone else to cover you rear, bottom
line is a designer has to answer for what went wrong.

Regards,

Ted Tontis