DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Gary M. Koven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 10:16:03 -0400
For signal layers, we use a 12mil drill with a 25mil pad.  This allows up to
5/5 within the BGA field.

The 12 mil drill into 0.062 thick board also saves money.  Shop will charge
you extra for vias they have to mask or plug.  See IPC-2222 Sec. 9.2.2.3
page 19 for the rules of thumb.  Aspect ratio of 6:1 or less when you can is
always good.

We haven't done any BGA on 0.093 thick board here.  However, aspect ratio
becomes a factor.  I have found that shop will charge you extra because of
that phenomenon.

At any rate, if you need to go smaller with the vias, use 0.025mil pad on
the plane layers which will give you better thermal relief definition.  I
have found that shop will charge you extra NRE when they have to redefine
thermals.

I've successfully used 0.025mil pads on plane layers all the way down to
0.75mm BGA.  That uncommon pitch, seen only on a very few SRAMs, required
8mil drill and 18mil pad with 0.1mm/0.1mm routing within the BGA field on
the signal layers.

See my message dated 10/11/2006 titled "Maximum drill size for vias in
0.75mm BGA fanout" for details on what I went through.  On that same board I
used the 12mil drill and 25mil pad for the 1mm BGA as recommended above.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Gary M. Koven, C.I.D.
Dynazign, Inc.
Charlotte, NC, USA