DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 96 11:41:24 EDT
Doug,

One possible way to circumvent this problem on future jobs would be to
maintain your own history file. The first pass of the design would be rev
0. Subsequent revisions naturally would be rev 1, rev 2 etc. Each revision
could be "zipped" into a compressed file for archiving purposes. Now when
the customer wants to see a comparison of what has changed, you could
easily compare rev 0 against rev 1 etc.

Hope this helps a little !

Lou Takach

Union Switch & Signal Inc.
412.688.2574 (voice)
412.688.2399 (fax)
-------------
Original Text
From: [log in to unmask], on 9/30/96 06:56 PM:
We are an independent Service Bureau

A year ago we completed a board for a customer. The board had
roughly 7200 individual nodes. Recently the customer asked
us to incorporate revisions affecting approx 500 of those nodes
(some parts deleted, several new parts + other changes.)

Revisions are, of course, dynamic, so we received approx 4 up-dated
net lists during the process. The problem is that he had numerous
unnamed nets. The schematic capture system would assign random names
to those nets each revision. Our system doesn't care if names change
as long as the integrity of the overall net list is preserved.

When we gave him the check plots he asked us for a printout of
just the changes, presumably so he could check just those. Since
most of the nets were renamed several times,
we didn't see how we could meet his request, but he insists that we
should be able to.

So I'm looking for your input.

1. Isn't it the engineer's job to keep track of changes if he wants an
audit trail?

2. And isn't our job to implement them and create a design that matches
the netlist that he says is the final and correct one, but not to maintain
his audit trail of changes? (in particular, a "net-diff" list from two
net lists with randomly assigned net names?)

3. If a schematic capture system assigns names to the nets, isn't there
a way to fix those assignments and make them permanent?

I'm not looking for sides, here, but a way to see this problem coming
and be able to solve it next time.

Thanks for any input

Doug Brooks

*