DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kelly M. Schriver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:05:22 -0500
Hi Cor & All -

In my experience, filling vias with solder can turn into a problem.  When
the material reflows, it often forms a bead below the surface of the board
(aided by gravity).  This bead may well turn into a short or an obstacle to
placement of second side parts.  The second part of the problem occurs when
a cavity forms allowing process residues to fill the partially vacant via.

My own preference is to either plug the vias with one of the via fill
compounds or to tent them with solder mask.
Most of the circuit board shops I am accustomed to dealing with have the
ability to fill or tent.

Regards - Kelly