DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Per Viklund <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:38:42 +0200
Hello Mark,

Just to be open: I work for a vendor representing another CAD system but
this post -just to calm everybody is not going to be a commercial ;-)

From time to time we get this type of questions posted. This time it was
Veribest (now Mentor Graphics) and Cadstar. Another time it is about some
other tools. I believe that all tools have their good sides (and bad sides)
as well as a price tag.

The question it all comes down to is "What are my needs?"

You can compare tools to the end of days but if you don't know what's
important to you, the replies you'll get won't make you any wiser. -Or as
some one said: It doesn't help to run if you don't know where to go.

If I were you, I'll work together with your Finnish colleagues to work out a
'needs sheet'.  A needs-sheet is not a list of tool features you want to
have but rather a broken down list of design issues that you need to
solve. -Each such issue must them be given some form of importance classing
such as:
* critical/must have
* Important/will affect productivity
* Less important/nice to have
....or something like that.
With that document in your hand, let the vendors in question -and why not
the members of this list, explain how these tools will address your needs
one by one.
-Then it's much easier to see which one of the tools that best solves your
needs. -Oh, and by the way, its not only the needs of today but also your
expected needs in the next years you'll need to address.
-It is VERY easy to fall into  features rather than needs and sometimes
features looks more impressive than the benefit they give you and that tends
to have impact on your judgement :-).

Best of everything

/Per

----
 Per Viklund
Tech. Mgr. Dansk Data Elektronik AS / DDE Sverige AB / DDE USA Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dde-eda.com/
-----