DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Joel S. Peiffer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:45:11 -0500
William provides some good advice to derate the materials insulation
resistance significantly as well as providing some of the reasons for
doing this (copper surface roughness, dielectric defects).

I would like to go into a little more detail on derating.  The boards
operating conditions (temp, humidity) and expected service life need to be
taken into account as well.  High temp/humidity operating environments may
call for additional derating.  The overlap area of high voltage should
also be taken into consideration.  If the area is very small, the
likelihood of a material defect is very small.  However, if the area is
very large, the likelihood of a material defect will increase in
proportion to the area and the material may have to be derated
appropriately.  Finally, the derating should be dependent on the
dielectric thickness.  Thus, thicker materials need to be derated less
than thinner materials.  For example, a 0.5 mil defect may not have much
impact on a 5 mil thick material but it will have severe consequences on a
1 mil thick material.

If you need to utilize very thin dielectrics to ensure you meet you z axis
thickness requirements, you may want to look at materials other than FR-4
to provide the required insulation resistance requirements.  Some of the
polyimide film materials have excellent insulation resistance and may be a
better choice in this situation.

Regards, Joel

Joel S. Peiffer
3M Electronic Materials Solutions Division
3M Center, Building 201-1E-17
St. Paul, MN  55144
Tel:  (651) 575-1464
Cell:  (612) 327-1983