DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 00:24:00 -0500
I agree with Dave.

We get this question/topic raised/asked about in classes a lot.
There are NOT many cases in the practical design and troubleshooting of
electronic products for electrical noise where edge radiation is a big
worry. And in the circumstances where it is an issue, the 20H idea (why even
call it a rule?) does not seem to have much merit. See these research
papers... they have been peer-reviewed.

Effects of 20-H Rule and Shielding Vias
on Electromagnetic Radiation From Printed Circuit Boards
Huabo Chen, Student Member, IEEE, and Jiayuan Fang, Senior Member, IEEE
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of California at Santa Cruz,
Santa Cruz,  CA 95064  9th Topical  Meeting on Electrical Performance of
Electronic Packaging, EPEP 2000

20-H Rule Modeling and Measurements, Hwan W. Shim, Todd H. Hubing,
Electromagnetic Compatibility Laboratory Department of Electrical and
Computer Engineering University of Missouri - Rolla,  Rolla, MO, 65409.
Proceedings of 2001 IEEE International Symposium on EMC

Best Regards

Lee

Lee Hill
Founding Partner