DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mark Koitmaa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 14:34:39 -0700
The CADD department at one of our local community colleges offers a
certificate program for PCB design.  I am participating in an Advisory
Board that is reviewing the program curriculum.

A recent study shows a steady decline over the past several years in the
first time employment rate for graduates of the program.  The advisory
board is trying to determine if and how the program can be salvaged,
and if so, changes to the curriculum.

To this end, we are investigating the criteria most commonly used when
hiring new entry level designers, and in fact we are trying to determine
if a substantial number of entry level jobs exist.

I am interested in your responses to any or all of the following questions.
Additional comments are also welcome:

  1.  Do you interview, recommend, or make final hiring decisions for
      PCB design?

  2.  Does our would your company hire entry level PCB designers (PCB
      design educated but no previous on the job experience)?

  3.  What are your company's hiring qualifications for your lowest level
      PCB designer?

  4.  Would your company hire a knowledgeable PCB designer if he/she
      required training on your EDA system?

  5.  Would your company hire a PCB designer that was knowledgeable
      of your EDA system but required training in PCB design theory?

  6.  Would your company participate if a local community college offered
      a "PCB design Internship program" or a "work experience program"?

  7.  Would your company hire an entry level designer if their course of
      study met your requirements?

You may respond directly to my email address if you prefer to keep your

Mark Koitmaa
TechServ Printed Circuit Design