DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:05:41 -0500
I have done it both ways. Adding all mechanical parts to the Schematic, and
not adding them.

Each has its' advantages, and disadvantages, as has already been pointed out.

The one 'part' that I seem to have issues with, is the actual PCB. I find that
a bit of a stretch, adding it to the schematic - since it is the PCB that the
schematic parts go on to, but I have found that management here wants to see
the PCB on the BOM.

What I try to do is have the Schematic drive and control the BOM. But, I do
not feed the Schematic's BOM directly into our MRP system. Instead, I use an
intermediate program called Parts & Vendors that I Import the Schematic-
generated BOM into, where I can create a multi-level BOM. I then export that
BOM to an Excel spreadsheet (why are we still using spreadsheets for BOMs?),
and send that to the assembly folks who import that into the company-wids MRP
system.

It may sound cumbersome, but it is actually very workable, and P&V allows me
to do some preliminary 'what-ifs', and costing, if I want to.

I am thinking that William Brooks has hit upon a point that I have encountered
once, and will again - and again, and that has to do with RoHS & REACH - as
well as Conflict Materials.

We have had one client that wanted all of these researched for all of the
parts and status displayed on the BOM for each of the above categories.

This is what will bog down a schematic-driven BOM real quick. For this reason,
I don't think that the Schematic should contain ALL of the excessive data, but
perhaps only enough information to get it into P&V, where the additional
information can be stored in a database.

But... that's my opinion. That, and a 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

Great discussion, folks!

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics