DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 10 Apr 1996 13:10:30 -0400657_- Sherman..
IMOP, I don't believe there is any panacea called "Pwb Benchmark
Survey for Servic Bureaus". I can only relate what we have done over
the years to obtain "quality" service bureau help when off-loading designs
during peak workloads. In outline form:

0 Generate a Statement of Work (SOW) to describe your end product
( What info you will provide, what you want as deliverables and
your schedule requirements)
0 Put together a sample package of "similar to" drawings or equivalent
package and send it to several sevice bureaus along with the SOW to
review.
0 Met with them to [...][log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:52:07 -0800

Louis,

You are quite correct, up to a point.  True, you can make this tracking
system quite detailed.  Whether you do so or not depends on your needs,
and your needs may not be the same as mine.  Truthfully, the software
I developed (about 5 years ago), only tracks activity on a single design,
although results of several designs can be summarized together.  Our needs
at the time were to track the number of electrical and mechanical changes
and their impact on schedule, the hours the designer put in the following
catagories: 1)design input, 2)placement, 3)manual routing, 4)documentation,
and 5)output, as well as cad system bugs and their impact on schedule.

The method of employment is rather simplistic (it hurts my ego to say...).
When a job is started, a file is "touch"ed (yes I am running unix) in a
hidden directory and given the name of the board.  Then when the designer
logs out at night, a program call from his/her .logout file prompts him/her
for some very basic information.  This is done through a series of menu's.
The user's responces are appended to the job file in a format which will
make extraction easy.  In addition, a copy of that day's activity report is
sent via email to the design manager and any other interested party.

The summary report generator grabs the board file and runs an awk script
that totals up all the hours and produces a nicely formatted report.

easy.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust a cad company to build a really detailed tracking
system that could access such items as part availability etc.  This data
may or may not be in your cad system.  If it is not in your cad system, you
will have to find it elsewhere in the file system.  Just where that is will
vary company by company.... and around here sometimes month by month as
system admin has free reign to move data around where ever their little cold
hearts desire.

IO is my biggest issue when writing code.  If the data can be gotten to,
then you're in good shape, if not, the only thing left to do is use some
default value, which is basically the same as a guess.  The problem your
cad company will have is establishing a pointer to the data it needs.  I
doubt that everything you need is contained in your cad database.  It would
be a real stretch to have such things as delivery dates and lead times in
your cad file.  So your vendor has to find it.  He/she will have to to that
for you, and every other person he/she sells software to.

Format of the ordering information (prices, availability, etc.) will also
vary company to company.  This could really be a can of worms if you were
to try to design a system that could be used by everybody.  So, I believe
that the best solution is to do it yourself.  That way you don't have to
worry about format issues that don't pertain to you.

I believe it would be well worth employing someone, preferrably a pcb
designer, or former designer, that can write code in perl, c, or shell
scripting.  That way the program will get written in a way that is most
useful to your designers, and is customized to your needs, as well as
your environment.

The software we are using is a c-shell script with some auxillary
awk scripts.  It will be re-written early next year in perl, with some
added features.

Best regards,
Ken Barrett
Cisco Systems WBU