DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Kitty Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:45:37 -0500
Thanks Karl,
I will pass this on.  I know there are many variants that effect solder
mask.  Do you think a matte finish is better than the glossy finish?  I'm
just wondering if the glossy finish causes the solder paste to spread more
during the fabrication processes, what do you think?
Good to hear from you, I hope everything is going well for you,
Kitty

Kitty Hines
ECAD Librarian/PCB Design CID+
Chamberlain Group, Inc.
(630)516-6655 office

Karl Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
10/15/2013 11:01 AM
Please respond to
"(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Karl Bates      <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [DC] Specifying max solder mask thickness

Kitty,
Solder mask materials come in many varieties ranging from dry film
laminate to screened wet film or photoimagable liquid solder mask.
Soldermask thickness ranges from 0.6 mil to 9 mils across mask types. Dry
film ranges typically from 3-4 mils, photoimagable from 0.6 to 6 mils
across various manufacturers, but is quite tight within a single supplier
(i.e.,variations of only a mil) and wet film has the largest variation
of0.6 mil to 9 mils.
I would recommend that you talk to your fabricator, and see what materials
they have available for mask and what their tolerances can be and any
notes they currently would recommend.     Compare this against the product
needs, and choose your best application material and note from there.

Karl

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 08:45:46 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [DC] Specifying max solder mask thickness
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Good Morning,
> I'm looking for the best way to specify solder mask thickness,
> particularly when it covers a via or pad, which causes a slight bump.
This
> situation can cause excess solder paste on pads, after application using
> 5 mil thick stencil.  I've looked at the IPC-840-SM, but didn't find
> anything that looked like a NOTE, that I can add to my Fabrication
> Drawing.  Or maybe I just missed it.  What wording or diagram do you all

> use for this specification?  I appreciate any help you can be.
> Thank You,
> Kitty
>
> Kitty Hines
> ECAD Librarian/PCB Design CID+
> Chamberlain Group, Inc.
> (630)516-6655 office

service.
in
> the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil.
> To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)