DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Wolfe, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 96 13:56:00 PDT

Steve,
I only have CDX/VeriBest experience. However when we did see demos about two
years ago on both these, Cadence Allegro I believe it was called did have an
outstanding auto router. The rest of the software was only ok due to the too
many menu/icon picks you needed just to do the simplest of tasks. They may
have improved that since. If you purchased or can get a hold of EDIF out for
BOTH the PC Board and the Schematic for CDX or Cadence has another plan for
conversion you will be dealing with two CAD systems for a long time.   If
Cadence it turns out that you likeCadence far better than VeriBest and can
work out the translater part go for it.
The translator for CDX to VeriBest does work well however its not quite push
a button you need to make sure of what you have in the CDX design before you
translate.
VeriBest's best part is the Advanced Editor (very slick), however it does
not have all the functionality it should yet but that should not be too far
off.

We're in the process of evaluating new CAD tools to replace our
     Intergraph CDX (Cadnetix) systems.  I'm in search of feedback from
     designers with experience on VeriBest PCB and/or Cadence's Prevail
     Router.  Any opinions and/or comments, positive or negative, will be
     greatly appreciated.

     Thanks in advance.

     Steve DiPrizio
     508.392.3215