DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Harris, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:28:07 -0500
Hi Matthew,

You don't say whether your design belongs to the "high speed" or "low speed"
category.
One of the application notes on the Merix website deals with this issue.
If high speed, then  "signal integrity" rules apply. Some of the
well-meaning suggestions you received could lead you straight to a signal
integrity disaster, resulting in a board with excessive crosstalk, large
overshoots, noisy power rails, high EMI and other problems too numerous to
mention.

Matthias' message summarized very neatly many of the general rules which
will take you toward a reliable design. Another good reference is
http://www.ednmag.com/reg/2000/03162000/06ms603.htm, a nice summary of
signal integrity rules. (You will be asked to register to view this
article).

-George
George Harris
Tel: 508-467-8893