DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:52:11 -0500
Hi Scott,

There are LOTS of different impedance equations and they will all give you different answers!!! In general, they are best for traces between .004 and .015 in width and between 35 and 90 ohms (single ended). I agree with the recommendation to get your fabricator to solve this on a 2D Field solver (Polar is the most common). That is the most accurate way I know of to get the information you need.

However, I would strongly recommend that you NOT use the calculator in your software without being very sure of its accuracy and that it matches what the fabricator can produce. Many of the EDA software calculators are based on equations that are very, very wrong and that can get you in a world of trouble.

Lastly, I think some clarification may be needed on your 50 ohm differential. The odd mode impedance of differential lines is less than that of a single ended line. The differential impedance of the pair is twice the odd mode impedance. I ran your numbers on the APPCAD RF calculator and the odd mode impedance is @35 ohms on that calculator which means the differential impedance would be about 70 ohm. I am not sure that calculator (or any Calculator) is accurate to those low numbers, but again, I would suggest you talk to your fabricator. Let him know everything you are trying to accomplish and he can help you.

Good luck,
Susy Webb