DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:09:20 -0600
IPC guidelines are not rules.
They are a foundation that you should build on, but if
you NEED to do something, you are free to do so.
You should try to understand the consequences, though.
The only real rules are the ones your customer demands.
What kind of application is this design going to be used
in? office space? outer space? A lot of thermal cycling
will influence your reliability.

There is nothing wrong with drilling a 12:1 hole, the
problem is plating it. (I assume that's what you meant).
There are vendors that specialize in high-aspect plating.
I'm not comfortable recommending one since we don't
do that here, but I just wanted to let you that what you
are doing is not exactly pushing the envelope.

best wishes,
Jack

|         |           Billy Bharath    |
|         |           ZA>              |
|         |           DesignerCouncil  |
|         |           <DesignerCouncil@|
|         |           ipc.org>         |
|         |           02/23/2004 09:27 |
|         |           "(Designers      |
|         |           Council Forum)"; |
|         |           Billy Bharath    |
  |To: [log in to unmask]                                                                                                   |
  |cc:                                                                                                                           |
  |  Subject:      [DC] drill to pcb ratio                                                                                       |

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 03/24/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

I need to drill a 0.2mm hole on a 2.4mm material. From past experience I
have worked on the rule that the thickness of the material  must not exceed
8 x the thickness of the smallest drill size. i.e. 0.2mm x 8 = max material
thickness of 1.6mm. Does this rule apply, is there an industry standard
lookup table for guidance. Also does this request play any significant part
in the quotation of the pcb.
Any assistance appreciated.
Billy Bharath