DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Doug Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 11:34:59 -0400
Thanks to all the respondents. Some were helpfull, all were
supportive!

Summary and outcome:

Yes - keeping track of changes is the engineer's job, not
     the designer's.

But Yes --- the customer is always right! (Darn!)

There are a SURPRISING number of schematic systems that can
assign net names but cannot remember them from one compile to
the next. That is a real shortcoming it seems to me.

Several people had programs that may help isolate changes, either
with shortcomings or written on a proprietary basis for their own use.

By chance, I have a son who is a professional programmer and I set
him on the task. He did, correctly, isolate the changes (somehow)
and has offered to write a program for us. I may take him up on
that. But even with the changes cleanly isolated, an analysis is
difficult. Just too much data for the human mind to deal with.

As many of you pointed out: If the customer's net list is correct,
and if the design matches the netlist, case closed. Net differences
aren't very relevant.

Well, it was interesting. But I think it's time to stop the thread.

Doug Brooks