DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mitch Morey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:43:19 -0800
Hi Mark,

Haven't relieved them in ages. As far as I know all my boards have been
working (more often they've been shelfed per market changes....:) Think
of it Mark, a via is only plated, it's not soldered to. You solder to
component pads. This is not the case with vias. The only time I might
relieve a via is if it was greater than say .040" (power connections on
RF boards), but then maybe not...

Why would a non-relieved via have more reliability problems? It's tied
to the copper plane all the way around, by way of plating. Would a
relieved via (with only four little tie areas connected) be more
reliable? I personally don't think so.

When all else fails, ask your board house. Have one of their
manufacturing engineers explain it.

Best of times...

Mitch
Sr PCB Designer