DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:28:15 -0500
This was brought up a couple of years ago. I'm pasting the thread below.

Here's a link to the patent: http://tinyurl.com/2k4t3q

-Steve Gregory-

Subject: Re: Patent No.: US6,617,529 B2
From: Brooks,Bill
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:54:54 -0800

Good one Mike,

George... The thing that amazes me.... is that they were awarded a
patent at
all for something that is common knowledge. Everyone knows that
delamination
is possible when using too small a diameter pad for a through hole
lead...

This patent seems to want to acknowledge these Japanese businessmen (
did
you notice the names on the patent?) that work for NEC Corp. in Tokyo,
for
their discovering that a 'common sense design practice' that has been
used
for many, many years (at least as long as I have designed boards) also
applies to lead free soldering... duh.

With the Japanese companies trying to stop US manufacturers from making
boards with through holes and lead free solder to the EU trying to stop
the
use of eutectic solder completely... I would say we have an all out
assault
on American Electronics manufacturing... you think maybe they are trying
shut us down?

Here's the next patent, I can see it now... Traces with wider widths...
They
prevent 'exfoliation' (I thought that was a skin conditioning treatment)
of
the copper from the board when soldered with lead free solder and in the
presence of large amounts of electrical current flow through them
heating
them... The wider than .005 mil traces are cooler preventing failure....
(blah, blah, blah...)

That's about equivalent to what they patented... Hey anyone got 2,000
bucks?
We can get our names on a US patent... woohoo! Hang that one on the wall
and
impress your friends and relatives.

What a joke.  Let's see them enforce this one... every through hole
board
ever made that doesn't delaminate around the pads with 'lead-free'
solder
will be in violation of the patent. Wow... what an ambitious bunch... I
guess legitimate business was too difficult... they plan to bring suit
against all PCB manufacturers in the U.S. instead... give me a break.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com