DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:35:07 -0500
Scott, freebie calculators are not a good idea if you want to use
them to build a stack-up that is accurate.  They should be uses only
for a ballpark idea.  They can be off sometimes more then 30%.

If you need a stack-up for a differential pair at 50 ohms then you
should be using a 2d field solver like one from Polar, or one that is
built into your EDA software.  Keep in mind that a 2d field solver is
more accurate then a set of equations setup for certain conditions,
conditions that may not exist in your design.  Also, EDA software
packages don't necessarily have a 2d field solver built in.

In the end, you should use what your PWB manufacturer suggests.  They
will use a 2d field solver to calculate the impedance based on the
parameters you give them and then suggest a layer stack-up to achieve
that impedance.

Hope this helps
Donald Kyle