DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 09:06:55 -0700
Congratulations on the CID+ Jack!

Just a thought... The air is typically the final destination for the excess
thermal energy...at least if you are talking about terrestrial earth bound
systems... so being in direct contact with the air is the best of all
worlds. (there are exceptions of course like with space vehicles where all
heat must be radiated away as Infrared energy into the black body of space,
no air available out there... )

As you add other thermal resistances to the thermal model, they slow the
flow of heat to the air... kind of like adding a resistor in an electrical
circuit slows the electrical current in the circuit, so potting the trace
would add an additional thermal resistance greater than air to pass the heat
thru on its way to the ambient air... the thing it is trying to equalize
with.

Air thermal conductivity is the constant against which all other materials
are measured... most materials used for thermal conductivity have a better
thermal transfer characteristic than air does. The white silicon grease that
gets used as a thermal transfer material is really only there to remove the
presence of 'very small air pockets' between thermal conductors because air
can act as a barrier to thermal transfer between the better thermal
conductors of the metal transistor tab and its heatsink for example. As a
side note regarding the white grease... More grease is not better... it's
actually not generally a good thermal conductor but it does work well if it
is kept thin enough to remove the air pockets and allow metal to metal
contact where the surfaces mate well.

So as I would expect, the potting of the circuit is more like adding an
additional resister to the thermal path to the final destination for the
heat trying to reach equilibrium with the ambient air in the circuit... and
it sounds like at 1.1 that it is about as bad as air between two metal
plates... its going to resist the thermal transfer of heat energy almost as
bad as air would...

Thermal analysis is not as intuitive as I wish it was... There is a good
book out there that explains a lot of this stuff... Cooling techniques for
Electronic Equipment by Steinberg.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks, CID+
Datron World Communications, Inc.