DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:17:16 -0400
Hi Bob-
As long as you're not applying solderpaste to the lands I don't see it
being much different than vias w/open mask. Have done a bunch of boards
with open vias under QFP where the bottom side is wave soldered... no
problems even 10 years later in automotive enviornment.
-Chris

                      "Robert M.
                      Wolfe"                   To:      [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]         cc:
                      ET>                      Subject: [DC] Land Pattern within Land Pattern (TQFP)
                      Sent by:
                      DesignerCouncil
                      <DesignerCouncil
                      @IPC.ORG>

                        08/06/02 10:40
                                    AM
                        Please respond
                        to "(Designers
                      Council Forum)";
                        Please respond
                         to "Robert M.
                                Wolfe"

Hello All,
I have a situation where there is a need to provide a dual
footprint pattern for an alternate package. They are a
PQFP and a TQFP. The smaller pattern with easily
fit within the larger and I believe I can make all connections
with both on board.

Question is whether or not there will be any assembly
issues with lands under a QFP which of course will
not have solder mask over them but solder, I would
expect a stencil to be made for both versions or
at least mask off part no tbeing installed. But during
reflow would the solder already on the lands cause
a problem under there, ie shorts. Or would using an
OSP coating solve the problem, but I guess that coating
once gone would leave exposed copper under that part.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
TIA
Bob Wolfe
in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil. To set a
vacation stop for delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET DesignerCouncil
NOMAIL Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources &
Databases > E-mail Archives Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact
Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the named
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its
disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited. If you are not the named
recipient, please return it immediately to its sender at the above address
and destroy it."