DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:34:18 -0700
Larry Campbell wrote:
> I personally believe Jack gave the correct response to such an
> open-ended question.  It's the question that scares me.

Well, I couldn't resist such a great opportunity to "have it my way",
but i could probably be more helpful with more details about what the
goal is.

How do you set up a PCB design department?

I guess I never thought about it. We just bought some computers and some
software and imported some drawing formats over from the AutoCAD guys
and started designing boards, I think. There is nothing up front that
MUST be set up, is there? After you start to realize the problems of
several designers using common libraries, or if a "checking"rocedure is
warranted, or any number of problems like "Who is responsible for the
Bill of Materials", you have to address them as you see a need, but
there is no magic answer, in my opinion.

Here to help...?                                            Jack