DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 20:34:36 +0000
We moved from silkscreen layers being used for the assembly for a variety of reason, size being a major driver and it limits flexibility considerably when it comes to doing documentation.  But I do see it being more common now to have them as separate layers.

Typically we have a layer for
-Silkscreen (outline, ref-des and pin1/other indicators)
-Assembly (component physical outline, ref-des and pin1/other indicators)
-3D part outline (usually same outline as the assembly layer)
-Placement outline (outline plus manufacturing allowances)

The "PCB Librarian" LP Wizard tool  made doing this for PADS a snap, so it's been pretty easy to follow and keep moving forward.

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins CID+,CIT
Senior PCB Staff Designer || L-3  Linkabit || Ph: 858-552-9832 || [log in to unmask]