DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 97 14:57:41 PST

Second request--will someone please acknowledge receipt, even if you may
not have an answer today.

Thanks,
Gary

Subject: Via Fill Defects
Author:  Gary Koven at LX
Date:    3/10/97 11:27 AM

Recently I have spent considerable time with more than one fabricator in
order to come up with an acceptable wording for our Workmanship Standards
on this subject.

An article entitled "Filled Vias and Quality" on page 40 of the March 1997
issue of "Printed Circuit Fabrication" states that in existing industry
and military specifications, via fill defects are not addressed adequately.

The appearance of this article would seem to indicate that our company's
experience is not unique.  And indeed I have scoured all my IPC docs in
vain for a ruling on this issue.

Which IPC document would this issue fall under, and who is responsible
for coordinating improvements?  I'd like to find out what's in the works.

Thanks,
Gary