DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dean Stadem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:50:22 -0500
Solder pad dimensions and stencil aperture sizes for most common OTS components are listed in IPC standards such as . Suggested pad dimensions that are used in component data sheets are also loosely based on those IPC pad/aperture dimensions, to meet the solder joint requirements within IPC-A-610 and J-STD-001. All of those in turn are based on a solder paste stencil thickness of 5 or 6 mils, which is pretty much an industry standard.

But the stencil thickness also depends on the CCA design, particularly the type of CCA and the component selection and the use environment.

For example, a high-speed signal processor or data-read head driver will (generally) utilize flip-chips, fine pitch ICs, and many 0402, 0201, 00105 and yes, even smaller components. The stencil thickness could very well be optimal at .003" for this.
On the other hand, it would not be optimal for a power supply card for an under-the-hood application.
The Type of solder paste for the first may be Type 5, and for the second could well be Type 3.

So, it depends.