DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:37:06 -0400
Don,
We here at Lucent Technologies, Advanced Video Technology dept (Bell Labs)
develop all kinds of sizes and layer counts, so I can't give any average.
Much of the work is prototype and small volume (100 pcs ) and end up in various
environments, but typically the standard air conditioned, controlled temp, 19" rack
type of environment. We also are doing boards for home environments.
Layer counts go from 2 to 14 , .062 & .093 thk, tetrafunctional mat'l, standard LPI sm,
standard 1 oz. cu, 1/2 plated up on the outers, foil construction - nothing exotic.
Lots of BGAS and miniature smt comps caused us to use 50 and 25 mil via grids with
10 mil fhs, and double sided placement (I stay away from buried/blind vias because
I'm prototyping quickly, and I want to be able to fix/ white wire - and also give the
engineer access to test the board quickly and easily).
Usually we have a couple of different powers - +5, -5, +3.3, +12/-12, - but the amp
rating per brd could vary from mA to 25A (75w at +5).

I would appreciate any feedback once you compile data from others...

Thanks!
Tom Kavendek
Lucent Technologies