DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Davis, Ben L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 07:04:00 EDT
On Wednesday, July 10, 1996 7:07 PM, Walker,
Don[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
>There is absolutly no generic reason I can think of why a plane should
>not extend under the gold edge card fingers.  I have done it for years
>with no problem at all.  Especially if you are working on EMI critical
>designs you would not want to have a big hole in your shielding created
>by removing the planes from an area of the board.
>
>Don Walker
>Austron Inc.

One thing to remember about internal planes and edge card fingers is that
you should make sure to pull the planes away from the edge enough to
allow for the beveling w/ tolerances and minimum copper to edge spacing
requirements.  This could be where the reasoning for removing planes
under fingers came from - someone got 'bit' with exposed copper plane
after beveling, so they deemed it better to remove all planes under
fingers (this is just a guess on my part).

We usually try to pull the plane back .100 inch from the edge along the
fingers.  Our reasoning to maintain the planes under fingers is the same
as Don's - we need to avoid any EMI problems.

Just a thought......
Ben