DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:07:36 -0500
Yep,
Too busy choppin' wood to sharpen the axe, right?

seeya,
Jack (aka "the new guy")

             "moonman"

             AM                        "Jack C. Olson"
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [DC] questions please

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 09/23/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Jack,

It really is amazing and very gratifying to see how far we've come. You're
sure right about technical people writing for others technical instead of
trying to sell something.

Concerning the issue about designers improving I can say without a doubt
the
biggest one is NOT HAVING THE TIME, as you say. It may not be the
designer's
fault but that person has to make a strong appeal to management to make
more
time to do it right up front - starting at the schematic level.

How many times do we say "I don't have time to do it right but I've the
time
to do it over?" Those words just seem to come out of our mouths so easily
but what a shame we have to say them when all the answers are there. One
example is when someone releases a design thought to be complete but some
of
the most important things are missing as good drawings and specifications
with which to communicate requirements, qualify suppliers, and accept or
reject product.

I'm sure you, as well as the rest of us, have seen way too much time WASTED
dealing with good suppliers that do a lot of the DFM work we should have
done but for lack of time and the ability to COMMUNICATE clearly our needs.
I can't tell you how many times I've helped folks qualify better suppliers
that can be worked with concurrently when the proper language is used. If
not, a design package is sent out and it may take several weeks to resolve
all the fabricator's or assembler's DFM issues when it should take two or
three days at most. Of course, that is more difficicult now dealing with
Chinese suppliers - as one example - because many of them don't speak any
language but price.

I've been in a lot of companies both crusading and teaching really
interesting technical stuff but I learn far more than I teach and that's
what I want to do here. I want to take this time to do it better next time.

MoonMan