DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 96 11:13:44 EDT
BeyondMail(R).
 This message is too large to be displayed entirely in the message body.
 Please see the attachment beyond.txt.
Three Rivers Designers Council
For Pittsburgh and the Tri-state area

`Everything comes together at the Three Rivers Designers Council'

On the internet at http://www.ipc.org/noframes/3RDC/index1.htm

You can also contact the 3RDC Steering Committee :

Jeff Imes        PH 412-349-1811 ([log in to unmask])
Jamie Morrow     PH 717-944-9560 (mail : [log in to unmask])
Ed Pavlock       PH 412-767-2400 x3441 ([log in to unmask])
Lou Takach       PH 412-688-2574 ([log in to unmask])
Joseph Zdybowicz PH 412-772-6552 ([log in to unmask])

The 3RDC Core committee met on August 27, 1996 and again prior to the
general member ship meeting on September 17th. and discussed the following
:

- Future meeting Sponsors
- Upcoming meeting schedule
- Septembers meeting
- Announcement samples
- Creation of sub-committees
- Web page status
- IPC certification
- Chapter organization
- Chapter meeting location
- Chapter activities

Those attending the core meeting were:

Jeff Imes, Jamie Morrow, Ed Pavlock, Joe Zdybowicz

Jay Stokes from Triangle Circuit and Hank from Robocon would
like to become involved with the Three Rivers IPC Designers
Council, and host a meeting.  Jay will be invited to our next
core meeting to discuss when, and topics he would like to
present.

 Our meeting schedule is as follows, dates are tentative:

       Sept. 17   Topic :"How to make a PCB"
                  by Tom Coyle from Hadco
                  Location : Medrad
                  Hosted by Ed Pavlock.

       Oct.  15   Topic : "PCB finishes, OSP"
                  by Tom Eshelman from Enthone OMI
                  Location : Union Switch & Signal
                  Hosted by Lou Takach

       Nov.  12   Topic : "Design for Testability, In-Circuit
                 Test"
                  by Gene Hixon from FORE Systems.
                  Location : Union Switch & Signal
                  Hosted by : Joe Z. from FORE Systems

       Dec.       open date

We would like to schedule Septembers meeting on the 17th,
at 7:00. Ed will make arrangements with the speaker Tom Coyle,
and for a conference room.  Ed will also forward announcement
information to Lou for distribution.

Joe Z. will forward examples of meeting announcements to Ed.

We would like to form some committees for putting together a
newsletter, and for the 3RDC-Board of the Month.  Information
will be distributed with a list of chapter openings.

The Three Rivers IPC Designers Council web page is open and on
the IPC pages.  Congratulations to Jeff our webmaster for putting
all of this together, "Way to go Jeff !!"  Thanks also to Anita
Abbatacola, Gary Ferrari, and the IPC for sponsoring our web
site location.

Three Rivers IPC Designers Council web page address:

**  http://www.ipc.org/noframes/3RDC/index1.htm  **

The group discussed certification. It seems there are several people who
are interested in, and working towards certification. The 3RDC needs help
from one or two of them to provide assistance
to others.  One idea is to bring everyone interested in certification
together for a support/study group session.

We are working towards incorporation, and everyone is new to this
kind of activity.  The 3RDC Core is taking the following steps
to better understand the laws, and paperwork required for
incorporation.

     Jeff brought tax id forms, and distributed them to the      group.

     Jamie brought the IPC incorporation kit, and will pass out
     copies this week for our 3RDC Core to review.

     Ed has a contact who is an officer in a local Pro E users
     group.  This users group has been incorporated for three      years,
and we hope can provide us with more insight into      paperwork, tax laws,
and bookkeeping.

     Joe Z. will start working with the IPC incorporation kit to
     create by-laws and history for the Three Rivers IPC      Designers
Council, group would like to add to the 3RDC web      page.

     Jamie is going to talk to other chapters to see how their      by-laws
are organized. Jeff is going to talk to the IPC in      hopes of gaining
more insight to these requirements.

     Jeff is going to move forward with obtaining the tax ID      number
and establishing a checking account for the chapter.

The Three Rivers IPC Designers Council has been rotating locations of our
chapter meetings along with our sponsors and hosts.  The Core feels there
are several good reasons to continue with this.

     The Core feels this is a good idea because everyone has a
     chance to organize a meeting. Hosts also gain some sense of
     accomplishment and ownership as more people have some input
     into the end product.

     Changing hosts every month also ensures no one gets      overloaded,
and burned out.  We have fresh people working on      a chapter meeting
three months in advance, and we have been      successful at bringing in
good speakers every month.

     We are also able to attract people from a wider area, as our
     location moves, we may by closer to some people one month
     and some others the next.  We feel this one way we've been
     able to grow our chapter pretty well the last 6 months.

The 3RDC Core would like to organize some fun activities.  The
ideas we came up with are:

     Lets spend some time with our members in the next meeting to
     see what may be of interest.

     Organize a darts and billiards tournament following our
     chapter meetings.

     Organize a potluck picnic.

     raffle off hockey tickets donated by a sponsor.

There was a suggestion for holding our Core meetings over conference call.
The group liked talking face to face, but is willing to try one For an
upcoming meeting.

Jamie, our membership officer, will distribute our complete
members list to all the Core members.  The group is a little
concerned that some people may prefer to keep their names
private, so the list will not be made public until we can resolve this
issue. The core should discuss this with members in our next chapter
meeting.

The core group would like to create a Q&A drop box where members can drop a
question or comment. We would then help them to resolve the issue.  The
group choose a drop box because several members do not have access to
EMAIL.  A drop box will be added to our web site for people who do have
access to the internet. Email is also acceptable.

The core group would like to take a survey of the area designers
to find out the software packages being used, platforms, and technology of
designs such as average number of layers, count of nodes, pins, vias, SMT
pitch, etc.  Jamie will bring in a questionnaire created by Hadco for this
same purpose.

       SEPTEMBER 17 Th. GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

First of all, we would like to thank Ed Pavlock from Medrad for sponsoring
this meeting and providing refreshments.

Today's meeting was on the topic "HOW A BOARD IS BUILT". The presentation
was give by Tom Coyle from Hadco. Nice job Tom and thanks !!

Toms' presentation covered :
- PWB fabrication process (flow chart)
- Pre-Engineering functions
- Inner layer process steps
- Kiting / Lamination / Fabrication process
- Outer layer process steps
- Routing and chamfering
- Inspection and test

Tom had samples of a board at all the various stages of fabrication. That
was an excellent touch to the presentation !

A question and answer session followed the presentation.

After the presentation, Joe Z. and Lou gave a brief overview of chapter
activities.

Lou Takach

Union Switch & Signal Inc.
412.688.2574 (voice)