DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:17:17 -0400
Jack-

Sometimes a guy just wants a fish. Sometimes a guy is just visiting the
coast and wants to try fish. You could give him one or you could teach him
to fish. So he's gotta buy a hook and some line, probably a rod and reel,
maybe some bait. Then he  has to learn how to bait the hook. He has to
learn where and when they bite. Pretty soon he finds he has to buy a boat
to do any good. So he decides he hates seafood anyway and goes back to his
cattle ranch. But if you'd given him a fish, maybe he'd-a liked it enough
to learn how to fish himself.

I've always appreciated your posts here and I don't think there's anything
wrong with your response in this case. Just defending my old-fart response.
I think a newbie can be overwhelmed and may not want or need to know about
fabrication tolerances, IPC specs, etc. He may have no idea, nor care, who
will build his board or how they do it.

He may just want a fish.

They're converting our offices from cubicles to an 'open enviornment'.
Guess it's bugging me more than I thought.

-Chris Ball