DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Luther, Brandon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:16:12 -0500
Alexis,
  We used via in pad for some through-vias and blind vias.  They were
all small (~.014in) BGA pads.  All the holes were filled with
non-conductive material, planerized and plated.  Manufacturing had
issues with the solderability of the VIPs.
   We discontinued the practice due to cost and manufacturing issues.
We were also able to use other routing methods and footprint types to
avoid them.  I am confident we would have overcome the issues had we
worked more on the problem.
  I don't believe the same manufacturing problems will exist on the
larger 0603 pad if you are using a small hole size.  You should to talk
to your fab house to see if it's cheaper/easier to fill all of the holes
vs. selectivly filling.  In addition, I would suggest specifying the
planarity requirement on the fab drawing.

Best Regards,
Brandon G. Luther  C.I.D.
Design Services Manager
Dataram Corp