DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:19:17 -0500
All,

I would like to know what is said about the acceptability of Clinched Leads
on PCBA's on the following mentioned documents to verify what they say about
clinched leads (I am ordering these documents but they have a lead time of
7-10 days) and I am trying to get an answer ASAP.

We are having an Assembly house build boards for us and we had some Radial
Thru-Hole Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors with Clinched Leads shorting out
to adjacent conductors.  We do not specify for them to or not to clinch the
leads.  We do have the following note on the Assembly Drawing:

1)  USE THE LATEST REVISIONS OF ANSI/J-STD-001 (CLASS 2)
AND IPC-A-610 FOR PCB ASSEMBLY.  A MINIMUM OF 0.005 IN
ELECTRICAL CLEARANCE BETWEEN UNINSULATED, NONCOMMOM
CONDUCTIVE SURFACES TO BE MAINTAINED.

The board is solder masked with LPI.

Please Respond ASAP, and comments welcomed!

Much Thanks,
Greg Kaskey
Checkmate Electronics, Inc.
770.594.6000 x228