DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:43:15 -0600
Ted,
This is a group error. You should always include the manufacturer's annular ring requirements,
and they should have checked that there was adequate clearance.
You don't want them adjusting anything automatically.
By default, all your holes should have 9 mil of annular ring (in addition to your electrical clearance)
(18 Over the hole) Less if the manufacturer specifies less.
The manufacturer should be held accountable for this though since they didn't check to see
if it was manufacturerable. This is unless they specify somewhere they build "as is."
Many cut cost but not doing initial checks, which reduces cost, but cause more errors
for designers that haven't encountered problems such as this.

Chris Robertson
Author "PCB Designer's Reference"
ISBN: 0130674818
Search for it at www.amazon.com