DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Susy Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:46:05 -0600
All,

I hope that all of you designers out there know that we on the Designer's Council Executive Board want what you want!!! We are all volunteers giving of our time, efforts, and sometimes money to push for what we believe is best for all designers. Most of us are designers ourselves, or work closely within the industry.

But it is important for this discussion that people understand that the Designer's Council and the IPC are, in effect, two separate groups, with somewhat separate goals. The Designer's Council is the group "By Designers, For Designers" that is (hopefully) in your local city bringing meetings, education and networking opportunities to the designers. The Designer's Council Executive Board is the advisory body between that organization on a national level and the IPC. The IPC is the standards organization that very generously sponsors the existance of the Designer's Council. Because the IPC is a non-profit organization, they watch the bottom line and do what they think is best from that angle. Thus the different goals.

The primary focus of the IPC's conferences used to be Fabrication and Assembly and the primary focus of UpMedia's conferences used to be Design. It all worked well that way, but times have gotten hard in the industry, and things have changed accordingly. So now the conferences are more in competition with each other, and that is apparently why IPC has pulled it's booth and the certifications from the UpMedia shows. No one is "wrong" here. These are all good people... just trying to do what they think is best for their organizations.

But that doesn't mean that they can't work together... someday! From what I understand, both sides have made overtures to each other (THANKS Jean, Pete, and Andy S.!!!) and FOR SURE the Designer's Council Executive Board is pushing to bring both sides together for the sake of the designers. We met again last week and "advised" our opinions about all of this. Like Jack, we want the best of all possible worlds, and there is good to be had in both.

My personal opinion is that one or two big co-located shows could really benefit all interests. The designers could attend fabrication and assembly classes as well as design classes, and vise versa. The whole thing would draw in more speakers, more people, more income and more exhibitors all in a well rounded environment. The expenses should be less for holding one mega show, than for holding two independent shows. The IPC could receive the income from the fabrication and assembly classes and exhibits and UpMedia could receive the income from the design classes and exhibits. But I must be missing something here, because this solution seems too simple not to have already happened.

Anyway, I do hope to see a future where both groupps can work together again. It happened once, and I know it can happen again if we all push for it!

Thanks,
Susy Webb