DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:49:05 -0700
The continued invasion of privacy REALLY IRRITATES ME!  I forward this for
your information/action as you see fit.  I just called them and the ONLY way
to get your name removed is via fax or letter.  Call the 800 number listed
below and select option 1 if you are a Lexis customer or option 2 if you are
not.  They will then give you instructions.

>Text item:

>  FWD>Oh no you don't...

>This is not a joke...

>Your name, social security number, current address, previous
>addresses, mother's maiden name, birth date and other personal
>information are now available to anyone with a credit card through a
>new Lexis database called P-Trax.  As I am sure you are aware, this
>information could be used to commit credit card fraud or otherwise
>allow someone else to use your identity.
>
>You can have your name and information removed from this list by
>making a telephone request.  Call (800)543-6862, select option 4 and
>then option 3 ("all other questions") and tell the representative
>answering that you wish to remove your name from the P-trax database.
>You may also send a fax to (513) 865-7360, or physical mail to
>LEXIS-NEXIS / P.O.  Box 933 / Dayton, Ohio 45401-0933.  Sending
>physical mail to confirm your name has been removed is always a good
>idea.
>
>As word of the existence of this database has spread on the net,
>Lexis-Nexis has been inundated with calls, and has set up a special
>set of operators to handle the volume.  In addition, Andrew Bleh
>(rhymes with "Play") is a manager responsible for this product, and is
>the person to whom complaints about the service could be directed.  He
>can be reached at the above 800 number.  Ask for extension 3385.
>According to Lexis, the manager responsible is Bill Fister at
>extension 1364.

>I called this morning and had my name removed.  The representative
>will need your name and social security number to remove you from the
>list.  I suggest that we inundate these people with requests to remove
>our info from the list and forward this e-mail to everyone we know.

Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
DynaCad Design Services (503)642-4040