DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Tom Hausherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:33:14 -0800
Gary,

Typically fabrication shops swell all outer layer features to compensate for
their etch process tolerance. This has been going on since the beginning of
PCB fabrication.

I've never heard the board house performing micro-modification, but my guess
is that might be possible to gain space between conductive etch. A space is
more difficult to manufacturer than a trace or pad. i.e.: if the space is
tight to begin with and then the fabrication shop swells the features for
etch compensation this makes the space between features tighter. So they can
swell and then micro-modify.

I'm just guessing here because I don't have all the facts, but PCB designs
often go through the CAM process on the 2nd or 3rd shift. The more notes you
have regarding "Not permitted without prior approval" will surely postpone
delivery if fabrication can't contact you at midnight.

I don't know of any IPC standard that addresses this issue. However, I'm not
sure if a fabrication CAM operator will be familiar with the term
"Micro-modififications" and they might just throw all modifications into
that category. So it's best to discuss the terminology with your fabricator
to eliminate any misinterpretations.

Tom