DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:33:28 -0400
Thanks Bill, but PCB Jack asked the question.

I liked it as well.  I've seen many things tried on a PCB before and  some
work and some don't.  (You gotta try it sometimes if you have the time  and
money.)  I think it's very important to really look at the design
parameters, the board material, and the manufacturing allowances to  see if what you
want to accomplish can really be done.

I can say from experience that creating a "twisted pair" in a PCB really
does not work the same as in a wire cable - not at all. ;-)  But creating a
"transmission line" can be calculated.  I don't know of any calculator that
doesn't have a return or reference plane either.

Cherie  Litson, IPC-CID+/CMIT
Litson1 Consulting
PCB Design Solutions &  Training
206-619-8844_ [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])

In a message dated 9/1/2015 1:10:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,